“Same Family, Same Square, Same Pasta” for five generations
We have made our pasta exactly the same way since 1893, without any changes, passing the company down directly from father to son in Piazza Emilio Landi in Strada in Chianti.
The old pasta processing criteria are respected at every stage at Pastificio Artigiano Fabbri: we process the best semolina and semolato from carefully selected wheat, milled by mills we trust, and in every production process we use “very low” temperatures that never exceed 38 degrees, including drying.
At the end of the production cycle, the pasta is slowly dried (from 3 to 6 days depending on the shape) in order to maintain the product’s organoleptic properties. The use of old bronze dies and original machines from 1958 is also fundamental.
The history of our company began in 1893 when our great-great-grandfather Giovanni Fabbri moved from Cintoia to Strada in Chianti, a few kilometres closer to Florence, bringing with him the ancient knowledge of his parents who were farmers, millers and pasta makers.
Giovanni Fabbri moved from Cintoia and acquired land in Piazza Landi (thanks to his wife’s dowry), where he established his pasta factory with an adjoining mill, bakery and grocery store. At the beginning of the 20th century, the company was located at numbers 1-2-3-4 of the square. Just like in 1893, the pasta factory still frames the town square today.
The Pastificio passed from using a marble wheel with a horse to becoming an electric pasta factory, called “hygienic processing” at the time, as can be read in an invoice dating back to that year which can be found in the Fabbri Museum.
Upon Giovanni’s death, his son Livio inherited the Pastificio, while his other son Lionello saw to running the bakery and grocery store.
At the end of the war, the furnace, mill and all the machinery had been mined, and part of the ceiling had collapsed: only the walls remained standing. The Fabbris repaired the damage from the war and started over, with the usual machines, at number 6-7 of the same square.
At the helm of the company together with his father Livio, Renzo acquired the first “Cantini” extrusion press to launch a phase of company development. To date, the improved 1958 model continues to be the heart of our production.
The Pastificio moved to its current headquarters at no. 18 of the square, where the stables were once located.
At the age of 16, Giovanni, great-grandson and namesake of the founder of the family business, entered the Pastificio alongside his father Renzo.
Giovanni’s children Lisa and Marco came to the helm of the company together with their father, as warranted by the family tradition for 125 years.